The quality of college life is determined by its residents, so we take particular care in our admissions process. We are looking for people with a strong desire to contribute to college life. Those who will make the most of their college experience both academically and socially.
Traditionally, we accept applications for students enrolled at, or who intend to enrol at, The University of Melbourne, including the Victorian College of the Arts.
However, limited places may be available for students attending:
- School of Pharmacy, Monash University, Parkville Campus
Applicant’s are interviewed firstly by the Principal or Vice Principal, and then by one student interviewer.
Interviews conducted by other students give applicants an opportunity to gain a better idea of the interests and backgrounds of current students. It is intended that these interactions help individuals to decide whether they would enjoy St Hilda’s College, as well as providing an opportunity for prospective students to ask questions from those with first hand experience of college life.
Typically, interviews focus on the following:
- Reasons for applying to St Hilda’s College
- Extent of knowledge about the College
- Expected benefits from membership of St Hilda’s College
- Expectations of college life
- Course preferences, academic motivation, future course and career goals
- Understanding of challenges that may be encountered in the residential context and likely ability to cope with these challenges
- Understanding of the challenges associated with transition from school to university and from living at home to living independently
- Likely contributions to the college community, such as: music; sport; drama; community service
- Leadership experience and lessons gained from these experiences
- Attitude to alcohol, drugs and other social issues
The selection criteria takes account of all the above, with important consideration also being placed on the applicant’s academic motivation and potential, so as to ensure high academic achievement.